Traditionally, Jaco has been the preferred beach destination for Costa Ricans that live in San Jose and the Central Valley. With the recent opening of the direct road between San Jose and Orotina, driving times have been shortened to less than 90 minutes, making this an ever more popular destination. The Jaco – Herradura beach corridor is comprised of three distinct and different areas: the town of Jaco, the Los Suenos residential golf and marina development, and the individual hotels scattered on the separate beaches.
Jaco is a beachfront town bustling with restaurants and nightlife. Many high rise condo and residential developments have sprung up in recent years, including future towers by Sonesta Hotels and the Ramada Chain. Wyndham Hotels is also scheduled to build a large development in Jaco. Many of these condos double up as hotel or rental units available for short stays. In general the town of Jaco attracts surfers and guests that look for intense nightlife that lasts until late night hours. There is a strong undertow in Jaco Beach and it is not suited for children or guests with limited swimming skills.
The Los Suenos resort area was the first upscale residential gated community on the beach, and features the country’s top marina, an 18 hole professionally designed and maintained golf course, shops and restaurants. It has four separate condo developments available for rentals by the day or week. Luxury homes are also available, most bordering the golf course and offering ocean views. Los Suenos is anchored by the award winning Marriott, a luxury beachfront hotel, ideal for families, weddings and for corporate events.
A few individual hotels are scattered on the beaches east and west of Jaco. Most notably, Villa Caletas and Xandari on the Pacific; two boutique hotels that offer superb service, incredible attention to detail and privacy for couples and families with older children.
While in Jaco - Herradura
- It’s a must to visit Manuel Antonio and Carara National Parks. Observe spider and white-faced monkeys, sloths and iguanas, hike through the mangroves, and lounge on the pristine beaches in Manuel Antonio, or the unique rainforest ecosystem and beautiful scarlet macaws in Carara.
- Los Suenos is home to some of the world’s best sport fishing and Costa Rica’s top marina. Boats with experienced crews and great service can be reserved for a half day in-shore outing or a full day offshore billfishing adventure.
- Embark on a full-day cruise to Tortuga Island. The island (no connection to sea turtles) is located near the Nicoya Peninsula. Start with a drive to the Pacific port of Puntarenas, followed by a sun-drenched voyage in a Catamaran through turquoise waters to the splendid white sand beach. Once ashore, play volleyball, snorkel, go on a nature hike, or relax and soak up the rays in the awe-inspiring beauty. A succulent beach BBQ is served at lunchtime.
- Spend a half or full day white water rafting two of Costa Rica’s most picturesque rivers, the Naranjo River (Class II / III) or the more challenging Savegre River (Class III / IV), accompanied by expert bilingual guides.
- Glide through the rainforest in a challenging canopy tour experience. Enjoy a trademark Costa Rican nature adventure while learning about this unique ecosystem.